Public Policy Intern
Public Policy Intern
The Urban Coalition for HIV/AIDS Prevention Services (UCHAPS) is a national collaboration of community partners and health departments dedicated to preventing new HIV infections and reducing health disparities, morbidity, and mortality related to HIV and AIDS.
The Public Policy Intern will assist the UCHAPS Public Policy Committee in the implementation of UCHAPS legislative and policy positions on federal appropriations and authorization legislation related to HIV, and social justice issues. The intern supports the day-to-day legislative activity needed to implement federal legislative and regulatory goals. The intern will also assist in tracking, monitoring, researching, and preparing advocacy documents on relevant HIV and social justice policy issues and legislation and coordinate policy statements with UCHAPS membership jurisdictions and partner policy organizations.
- Brainstorm with staff to develop content in support of our technical assistance activities
- Assist in the implementation of strategies, developed by Public Policy Committee and UCHAPS staff, to achieve legislative and regulatory goals
- Research and write advocacy documents, fact sheets and newsletters on relevant HIV, social justice and health reform issues
- Assist in coordination of community policy issues
- Attend congressional hearings and coalition meetings as assigned
- Prepare briefing materials, correspondence and mailings
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Interest in political science, public policy, health or other relevant area of study
- Basic knowledge of legislative process and interest in advancing responsible HIV/AIDS and social justice public policy
- Excellent communication, writing, and organizational skills
- Must be self-motivated and excel in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical, writing and communication skills
- Ability to work with diverse populations
- Ability to multitask while maintaining strong attention to detail
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications
- Willingness to travel as needed
To apply for fall internship, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and note UCHAPS Internship in the subject line. No calls please.