Clear and effective communication is at the core of public health practice. In a nation where more than one third of the adult population has limited health literacy, the importance of communicating health information in a manner that is understandable and accessible cannot be overstated. Communities must be able to understand health messaging in order to make important health decisions for themselves. This interactive and activity-based half day workshop will focus on methods to create health communication materials that are relevant, culturally appropriate, and accessible.
Following this workshop, participants will be able to
· Define the essential components of effective communication for a diverse range of communities
· Identify the messaging and design elements that facilitate understanding and engagement
· Explain the importance of the use of person first language when disseminating health messaging
· Describe the importance of community engagement in creating effective communication products and health resources
· Choose appropriate strategies to check for understanding with populations of interest when communicating health information
Be sure to register for this free training soon. The workshop is limited to the first 25 participants. Light refreshments will be served.